The Frank H.Woods Telephone Pioneer Museum was incorporated in 1994 and officially opened in October 1996. It was created through the hard work of many local Pioneer volunteers, a grant by the Independent Telephone Pioneers Association (ITPA) and funding and support from Aliant Communications.
The museum is named for Frank H. Woods, Sr. (1868-1952) who founded Lincoln Telephone Company in 1903. The company began serving 1,800 Lincoln customers in June 1904. Telephony, an industry publication, praised the new company as "the first large automatically operated telephone exchange west of Chicago."
Woods served as president and chairman of the board until 1946 when he resigned as president. He remained chairman until his death in April 1952. The TelephoneMuseum serves to educate the general public about the history of the telephone industry, especially the history of independent telephony and specifically that of The Lincoln Telephone and Telegraph Company and its founder, Frank H. Woods.
Frank H. Woods Telephone Pioneer Museum is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media